Regulatory and Governmental
Through the years, Motieka & Audzevičius' lawyers have established a particularly solid position in the handling of cases where the public sector is one of the parties. The practice group is led by Partner Jovitas Elzbergas, the former Director of the Legal Department of Vilnius City Municipality, who manages a team of other experienced lawyers with previous careers in the public sector. The vast experience our attorneys have garnered from working in this system allows them to achieve results which seem impossible to other law firms.
Understanding the psychology and behavioural patterns prevalent in the public sector is a distinct competitive advantage of Motieka & Audzevičius enabling us to open the doors that remain unseen by the others. This benefits both our private and public sector clients.
The firm's expertise involves representing clients in all types of litigious matters, advising on environmental and construction permits, detailed planning, licensing, public regulation, and consulting on everyday legal operations.
Our lawyers are frequently invited to consult institutional entities and their legal departments on everyday operational issues including the drafting and reviewing of legislation, advising in business transactions and legal defence in liability claims. We are constantly working with governmental clients to avoid costly litigation, but when lawsuits do arise, our firm is able to capitalise on its vast expertise in litigation and conduct the defence in court.
Significantly, our attorneys have advised Vilnius City Municipality in a number of milestone projects, such as the western detour construction works. Being valued EUR 78 million, it is the city's most expensive project. We also frequently work with the municipalities of Kaunas, Trakai and other cities.
Our services include:
- Providing juridical opinions on the legality of legislation under consideration by governmental authorities and advising institutional entities when proposed business practices violate state and/or municipal laws;
- Handling routine governmental legal transactions, advising on business practices and bidding policies, drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts, and protecting the interests of institutional entities.
- Successfully represented a client that participated and won the state procurement tender for the implementation of waste utilisation activities, in a case heard by the Supreme Court of Lithuania.
- Successfully represented a client before the Court of Appeal of Lithuania in the dispute regarding the public tender for Klaipeda swimming pool.
- Advised VIENNA INSURANCE GROUP AG Wiener, the top player in the CEE insurance market, on the incorporation of the first group company, a non-life insurance insurer, in the Baltic States.
- Represented one of the largest media holdings in the Baltic countries in a litigation concerning licensing conditions.
- Defended an ex-politician from claim of abuse of authority.
- Represented Vilnius City Municipality and their building maintenance services provider in a dispute with the Public Procurement Office.
- Represented the Client in a dispute against the National Land Service under the Ministry of Agriculture at Vilnius District Court regarding the recognition of a state-owned land lease contract as being null and void.
- Represented a media group in Vilnius Regional Administrative Court in a dispute against the Radio and Television Commission of Lithuania.
- Advised the largest Lithuanian oil producer LOTOS Geonafta on the acquisition of a controlling stake in Manifoldas
- Advised a Danish Investor on the purchase from the Norwegian energy company STATOIL of a controlling stake in the biofuel producer Mestilla UAB
- Investigation of the Lithuanian Competition Council in regard to failure to notify a concentration to the Council
- Representing the Client in the dispute against State Territorial Planning and Construction Inspectorate.
- Representing the real estate holding in regulatory litigation vs General Prosecutor Office.
- Representing the Client before the Lithuanian Court of Appeal in a dispute regarding a public procurement procedure.
- Defended the interest of a company building a shopping mall against the the State Territorial Planning and Construction Inspectorate under the Ministry of Environment.
- Defending the interests of the major agricultural company in the Supreme Administrative Court of Lithuania.
- Representing the Client in a dispute with the Special Investigation Service of the Republic of Lithuania
- Represented one of the leading companies in the energy industry against the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Lithuanian before the Vilnius District Administrative Court in a dispute regarding the reduction of EU structural funding.
- Represented one of the major food supply and catering companies before the Supreme Court of Lithuania in PPP dispute regarding the annulment of the results of a public procurement procedure.
- Represented the client in the Supreme Administrative Court of Lithuania in complex environmental regulatory litigation.
- Represented one of the major Lithuanian catering companies in the Supreme Court of Lithuania in complex litigation related public tender and application of the EU law.
- Represented one of the leading oil production companies in Lithuania in a court battle for the annulment of the public contract among the main participators of the Lithuanian energy sector, as well the Ministry of Economics of the Republic of Lithuania, in the Vilnius District Court.
- Represented the client in regulatory litigation in the Supreme Administrative Court of Lithuania against the largest Baltic air carrier.
- Represented the client in the dispute against State Territorial Planning and Construction Inspectorate at Vilnius District Administrative Court regarding the annulment of acceptance of construction works of the building owned by the client's competitor.
- Represented the client in the Supreme Administrative Court of Lithuania regarding annulment of the mandatory prescription of the Environment Protection Department of Utena.
- Represented the client in the dispute against State Territorial Planning and Construction Inspectorate at Vilnius District Administrative Court regarding the annulment of acceptance of construction works of the company manufacturing the solar cells.
- Represented an international consortium in the dispute before the District Court of Klaipeda regarding the results of the public procurement. In accordance with the Court's decision the client has been recognized as the winning bidder to execute the construction of the municipal waste incineration plant in Klaipeda District.
- Represented a client in the public procurement regarding the waste incineration services.
- Represented one of the major food supply and catering companies in the dispute before the Court of Appeals of Lithuania regarding the annulment of the results of the public procurement.
- Represented the client before the Supreme Administrative Court of Lithuania in litigation arising out of the claim for annulment the order of the Ministry of Transport to suspend the operating license of formerly major Lithuanian air carrier.
- Represented one of the leading developer of intelligent engineering solutions in Lithuania in a court battle for annulment of the public contract between one of the municipalities and Europe's largest engineering conglomerate.
- Defended Vilnius City Municipality the claims submitted to the court by the formerly Vilnius City Mayor Mr Juozas Imbrasas.
- Construction 2017, Getting the Deal Through Series
- Construction 2016, Getting the Deal Through Series
- Construction 2015, Getting the Deal Through Series
- Construction 2014 in Getting the Deal Through series
- Private Competition Enforcement Review
- Construction 2013 in Getting the Deal Through series
- Construction 2012 in Getting The Deal Through series.
- Defining the Extent of NGO’s Participation in the WTO